MONUSCO names Congo officers “commanding” FDLR units
An FDLR combatant mans a post in the forests of eastern DRC.
A leaked internal email from the within the UN Mission in the Congo, MONUSCO, gives an account of the UN’s awareness that it partners, Congolese army, works with Rwandan FDLR militia in various places of eastern DRC.
The email has been obtained by Inner City Press, which covers the UN based in New York. A January 21 e-mail from MONUSCO’s Lt Col Rajeev Sharma, G3 Chief Operation Officer in North Kivu, to Hiroute Guebre Sellassie, Gabriel Kabore and others, states that the “FDLR battalion commanded by Lt. Col. Ezra Kalebu is reported to be operating in the localities of: Kishishi, Kibirizi, Bambo, Mubambiro, Sake, Kiroche, Ishasha and Minova. In all these places, the FDLR has full FARDC backing.”
The e-mail continues that FDLR “are particularly supported by Brig. Gen. Masunzu, the commander of the FARDC South Kivu military region.”
Here is the full MONUSCO e-mail
01/21/2013 09:13 P
To Hiroute Guebre Sellassie/MONUSCO/UNFIELDMISSIONS@UNFIELDMISSIONS, MONUSCO-HQ-DCOS Ops/MONUSCO/UNFIELDMISSIONS@UNFIELDMISSIONS, Sidibe/MONUSCO/UNFIELDMISSIONS@UNFIELDMISSIONS /UNFIELDMISSIONS@UNFIELDMISSIONS, MONUSCO-
cc MONUSCO-NKB- /MONUSCO/UNFIELDMISSIONS@UNFIELDMISSIONS, @UNFIELDMISSIONS, MONUSCO-NKB-JORDSF- <Gabriel Kabore/MONUSCO/UNFIELDMISSIONS@ Alexandre/MONUSCO/UNFIELDMISSIONS@UNFIELDMISSIONS
Subject SPECIAL REPORT: CONCENTRATION OF EX MAI-MAI CADRES IN KIBRIZI (17 KM SW OF COB RWINDI)
SPECIAL REPORT: CONCENTRATION OF EX MAI-MAI CADRES IN KIBRIZI (17 KM SW OF COB RWINDI)
1. Village chief, Kibrizi informed COB, Rwindi that Col Mukalai and Lt Col Kambale Celemon from 8 MR, FARDC had been sensitising the youth in the general area Kibrizi (17 km SW of COB Rwindi) for the past one week to refrain from joining negative forces. They are constantly in touch with the surrendered cadres, residing in the general area Kibrizi, and are motivating them to integrate into the National Army of FARDC.
2. The village chief also informed that approx several ex Mai Mai Cadres (600-650 from general area Pinga and 250-300 from general area Kibrizi) have gathered in Kibrizi on 20 Jan 2013 for integration into FARDC. Out of the above, 390-450 cadres have been accommodated in an adhoc camp established near FOMAC Bn, located at Kibrizi, while the rest of the cadres are staying with the villagers.
3. On contacting 2IC FOMAC, he confirmed the input and stated that necessary steps are being taken for their reintegration.
4. There appear to be a large scale integration and alliance of FDLR/Mai-Mai/APCL into FARDC in North Kivu/South Kivu and Ituri which is a cause of concern.
5. NORTH KIVU
Lt. Col. Ezra Kalebu:
FDLR presence in North Kivu provincial capital, Goma, in the blanket cover of the 41st Battalion of FARDC. Including other locations like: Mudja, Rusayo and Kanyati.
FDLR battalion commanded by Lt. Col. Ezra Kalebu is reported to be operating in the localities of: Kishishi, Kibirizi, Bambo, Mubambiro, Sake, Kiroche, Ishasha and Minova. In all these places, the FDLR has full FARDC backing.
6. SOUTH KIVU:
Brig. Gen. Masunzu,
FDLR and dependents, in South Kivu have been noticed on the move to safer places by help of FARDC. Deadly clashes with one of the local Congolese Mai-Mai Raïa Mutomboki group, opposed to the FDLR criminal activities against innocent Congolese, caused this movement. The FDLR are fleeing from: Raïa Mutomboki in Shabunda and Kalehe. (FDLR) are particularly supported by Brig. Gen. Masunzu, the commander of the FARDC South Kivu military region.
7. Action by MONUSCO. MONUSCO Plans for receipt of UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) / drones for surveillance in Eastern DRC should be expedited to continuously monitor this. The situation is being closely monitored in the AOR. An ADP is being launched on 22 Jan 13 to corroborate the input, ascertain further details and ensure security in the area.
With Warm Regards,
Lt Col Rajeev Sharma
G3 Chief Operation Officer
North Kivu Bde