Rwanda says fugitive Gen Ntaganda is in US Kigali embassy
The fugitive Congolese Gen Bosco Ntaganda is holed up in the US embassy in Kigali, the Foreign Affairs Minister Louise Mushikiwabo has confirmed.
â€œWe have learned today that Bosco Ntaganda entered Rwanda and surrendered to US Embassy in Kigali,â€ said Mushikiwabo on her Twitter account. The government also issued a statement saying Ntaganda arrived at the US embassy today morning (See full statement below).
The surprising announcement comes two days after M23 rebels got embroiled in bitter battles over control of the movement, forcing some of them to seek refuge in Rwanda. Reports had been the one faction of the M23 rebel group was linked to Ntaganda.
The Congolese government claimed on Sunday that Ntaganda had crossed to Rwanda, which Kigali promptly denied. It will come as a surprise to many that Gen Ntaganda, wanted by the ICC is in US government hands, which is not a signatory to the courtâ€™s statute.
Within minutes of Mushikiwabo announcing then news, the social networks were filled with speculation as to what will happen next to one of Congoâ€™s most wanted fugitives.
The US embassy has yet to comment.
Rwanda Government statement
Foreign Minister and Government Spokesperson Louise Mushikiwabo said today that new information indicates that Gen Bosco Ntanganda has reported to the US Embassy in Kigali this Monday morning.
Minister Mushikiwabo said: “We have just learned that Gen Ntaganda presented himself at the US Embassy early this morning.”
Minister Mushikiwabo confirmed that the GoR is currently establishing further details on this evolving situation.